Clifton and Hotwells
Improvement Society (CHIS)

** looks better when viewed in browser supporting current standards***

Refuse, Noise and Pollution Information

Sharon Baker and Maggie Shapland

For litter, rubbish, fly-tipping, graffiti, vandalism, street drinking, drug dealers etc- all anti-social behaviour, ring 0845 605 2222.
Please remember that you can report illegal activities such as drink driving, drug dealing and suspicious behaviour anonymously to Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

If you have any ideas about how to improve the cleanliness of your area, telephone (0117) 922 3838.

Commercial refuse: Email: Alternatively call our customer service centre on: Tel: 0117 92 22500

News about waste.

This page contains general information:

We have also added the following CHIS pages:

Trade waste duty of care and leaflet for traders

Oct 2015: These leaflets have been produced by the Bishopston, Cotham and Redland Streetscene Group to help traders understand what their responsibilities are in relation to how they store and present their waste. Both documents have been approved by BCC and are being used across the city.

Duty of Care
trade waste leaflet

Household Rubbish on the street

Dec 2012: Households are required to have off-street storage if they want a wheelie bin and should only leave the bin on the pavement when a collection is due. If a bin is continually left on the pavement, the residents will initially be warned to remove it and given a reasonable amount of time to action this. Ultimately the bin will be taken away if the residents continue to leave their bin permanently out, although we always try to work with the residents to find a resolution first.

I have therefore raised a job with the Area Environment Team today advising them that this is a problem in Clifton and asking for residents to be contacted.

Should you have any further queries then please do not hesitate to contact the Customer Services Centre either by telephone, email, or using the website :

0117 9222100

Student Rubbish Summer

The most common complaints about students involve:

The University of Bristol is committed to responding to concerns in the community about student behaviour and aims to encourage high standards of conduct. Student rules and regulations include a disciplinary procedure for student misconduct in the community. The University has produced a guide for students going into private rented accommodation entitled "Moving on: a guide to community living". This includes advice and information on Noise, Refuse and Recycling and Cars. This will be distributed to all current 1st year students and available to view online on their

At the end of the summer term, kerb side rubbish increases due to student changeovers at rented properties. This usually occurs in June/July at the end of the academic and rental year and End-of-term complaints about students dumping rubbish rise.

The University of Bristol actively emails all students with information on how to dispose of their rubbish so as to try to alleviate the annual problem of mounds of rubbish being left on streets over the summer. They would be extremely grateful if landlords could also contact their tenants well before the end of the tenancy to remind them that they need to start clearing out early.

Those landlords who have 6 or more tenants in their property may be interested to hear that Bristol City Council will now allow an additional (smaller) wheelie bin to be ordered rather than an extra large bin as long as there is sufficient off-street storage space. An application form is needed as it is not possible to order the bin from the Council over the phone or by email. It may be easier if landlords applied for the additional bin rather than relying on tenants to do so.

Students can access all this information plus information on how and what to recycle on

A Flyer can be printed off and given to all interested parties. This gives details about extra collections during the student moving in/out period at end of year in June.

Refuse Collection

If you forget your collection day, call Customer services on 922 3838 and they will be able to tell you.

Weekly recycling and refuse Bank Holiday collections dates can be found on the Recycling and Waste section of the Bristol City Council website.

Residents that have kitchen waste collections will also benefit from being able to put out their real Christmas trees for collection (without the pots).
Cardboard packaging can be recycled by putting it out next to your kitchen waste bin, please remove polystyrene.

Wheelie Bin

The Council collect waste and recycling on the same day. They will collect one wheelie bin of rubbish or equivalent, your black box and any extra recycling you have that is placed in untied carrier bags by the side of your box. BCC will collect either Please note:


Five steps to recycling

Black Box Kerbside collections

Weekly collection of: Place the following next to your black box: General:

Green Box Kerbside Collection

Weekly collection Introduced in Autumn 2012. Please rinse food and drink containers The following should not be placed in the green box: Please place in the wheelie bin or black bag.

Food Waste Bin

Garden Waste Collections

Composting bins can be obtained from BCC look at the link to council waste services.

What you can not recycle

The following should be put in your wheelie bin or black bag (collected every two weeks), not your recycling bin.

Who is the Waste doctor?

Confused? If in doubt call the Council on 9223838 - and arrange for a visit from the Waste Doctor at your home.

Other Household Waste

Household Waste Recycling Centres

We have two Household Waste Recycling Centres (HWRCs or tips) in Bristol. There are also many smaller recycling centres across the city. Our Household Waste Recycling Centres are located in: Both open every day from: Both Household Waste Recycling Centres are closed on 25 and 26 December and 1 January

Bulky Item Collections

To book a bulky waste collection from your home:

Recycling Units in BS8

The SOFA Project collects for free, unwanted furniture and electrical appliances (0117) 954 3567.

Waste Disposal Plan

Bristol has teamed up with three other unitary authorities to plan what to do with their waste disposal problem. The plan (encourages re-use and recycling) can be seen if you look for "rubbish or resource" which may have moved to

Problems with on Street Waste

There are several ways to facilitate the removal of waste.

Bristol City Council has a page dedicated to this on their website for all sorts of waste found on the street from Abandoned Cars to Sex and Drug Litter:

A Flyer can be printed off and given to all interested parties. This gives details about extra collections during the student moving in/out period at end of year in June.

The problems affecting Clifton mostly are:

Both can be reported to the council via its website or by phoning 0117 922 2100 or email
fly tipping form

But in the case of Flyposting CHIS encourages the general public to remove the posters. Both flytipping and flyposting are offences and will be prosecuted when possible to trace the culprits.

carved sign

Royal York Crescent

Persistant Offenders of Refuse on the streets

The damage to our 'street scene' continues, particularly due to abuse of the refuse system. To help members report persistent offenders to the Council, CHIS has produced a proforma which you can send off to the Council. In our experience the Council does try to respond to complaints but does not routinely inspect our streets- so reporting really is important.


Household Clinical Waste

At a Health and Safety event in 2006 involving Safety Officers from different working environments, an Officer of Bristol City Council highlighted a problem that affects car parking facilities in central Bristol. It seems that users of illicit drugs have been sellotaping used hypodermic needles to the underside of handrails on the stairs of multi storey car parks. Needles have also been found concealed in hand towel and toilet paper dispensers. This practice is clearly intended to cause injury and possible infection to members of the public. Whilst not wishing to start any undue panic, it seems appropriate to advise people to be especially vigilant when using such facilities. There is no evidence of this practice happening anywhere other than car parks in central Bristol at present, but people are advised to have heightened awareness when using such facilities.

Dangers to your health in your period home is a very good resource describing DIY dangers (by element (eg roof, wall), room and material). It describes the dangers of : and describes what to do.


Call 0117 922 3838 about If there is a problem with a public sewer, contact Wessex Water on 08457 300 600

Drains, Potholes and Street Lights can be reported by phone or online: O117 9222100 or 24-hour Emergency Control Centre on 0117 922 2050.

The Council Pollution Control Team

Aims to tackle noise, land, air and water pollution to make a safe, clean and healthy environment.
Officers working evenings and nights often respond to noise problems eg. noisy parties and other loud music, continuously sounding house and vehicle alarms.
The team also
Contact them on
0117 922 3810 - Mondays to Thurdays 0830 - 1700 and on Fridays 0830 - 1600
0117 922 2050 - Out of normal office hours. Sunday, Monday, Tuesday 7:30pm-midnight, Wednesday and Thursday 7:30pm-1am, Friday and Saturday 7pm-3:30am

Keep Bristol Tidy. What's an S215?

BCC's Planning Enforcement approach to this is informal to start with. The first stage is to write to the owner and enter negotiation to have the property/land tidied. If this is unsuccessful they can issue an s215 notice.

From a community point of view, tidy gardens and land mean an area looks well cared for making people feel safe in that neighbourhood. If untidy sites are left, they become worse and the area starts to feel neglected and unsafe. Untidy sites are rarely dangerous to public health but they will be an eyesore, which means it is detrimental to the local amenity. These are the ones that we want you to draw to our attention.

The council can serve an ‘amenity’ notice on the owner of any land or building which is in an unreasonably untidy condition and it considers has an adverse affect on the amenity of the area. This is done under section 215 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990 (as amended). This notice is used to maintain and improve the quality of the environment, to assist in tackling dereliction and retaining land in a productive use as well as contribute to the regeneration of an area and respond positively to public concerns. Many of the problems of untidy land and buildings are relatively easy to put right for example:

A notice can be served on the owner or occupier of any private land or building which is in an unreasonably untidy condition and which the Council consider has an adverse affect on the amenity of the area. The Notice will specify what needs to be done to correct the situation within a given timescale. It is an offence not to comply with the notice within the specified period. If the requirements of the notice are not carried out in the required timescale the landowner could be fined and have a criminal record. There is a right of appeal against a notice issued under this section to the Magistrates Court. Failure to comply with the requirements of the notice constitutes a criminal offence subject on conviction to a fine not exceeding £1,000. The Council is also empowered to enter land to carry out the works specified in the notice and reclaim costs from the land owner - usually by means of a land charge on the land or property.

So, what should you do? Council Officers won't necessarily know of every derelict and untidy site, nor of the range of public concern. Don't leave it to someone else. A single report can be ignored as minor. A dozen reports on the same property requires action.

Bristol Planning guidance regarding Waste

The Bristol City Waste and Recycle document (January 2010) provides supplementary guidance to policy ME2 of the Bristol Local Plan and Core Strategy Policies BCS15 and BCS21 and emerging Development Management Policy Policy DM32: (Recycling and Refuse Provision in New Development).

Policy ME2 confirms that the provision of adequate facilities for the safe storage and disposal of waste materials from the site will be taken into account when determining planning applications. For example BCS 21 identifies waste and recycling during construction and operation as integral to sustainable design. The overall objective of Government Policy as expressed in Planning Policy Statement 10: Planning for Sustainable Waste Management (July 2005) is to protect human health and the environment by producing less waste and by using waste as a resource wherever possible. Through more sustainable waste management, moving the management of waste up the “waste hierarchy” of prevention, reduction, re-use, recycling and composting, using waste as a source of energy, and only disposing as a last resort, the Government aims to break the link between economic growth and the environmental impact of waste.

Bristol Bin storage requirements

Jan 2010: All new development (including houses, flats, and conversions) should provide accommodation for external or ventilated internal storage of waste and organic and dry recyclables. A minimum footprint size of 0.6m x 1.5m, or a volume of 1.5m3 should be provided where each dwelling or flat has individual storage. This space should enable the following to be stored for each dwelling or flat (including non-self contained flats): Future changes to kerb side recycling collections within the councils Recycling and Refuse contracts, such as the introduction of plastic waste collection, could give rise to the need for additional storage requirements

Storage capacity for general refuse :

Useful links

CHIS home | About CHIS | Events | Planning | Contact
© CHIS Registered charity 259371